All welcome, a light lunch is included with the ticket.
How to Book: Visit the HALS website or call 0300 123 4047 (ask for Local Studies)
This is a day both for those new to the world of community archives, as well those who are already involved.
The day begins with a introduction to HALS’ approach to community archives, this will be followed by three case-studies of current community archive projects taking place across the county.
Speakers will include:
- Judy Faraday from the John Lewis Partnership Centre who will be talking about the Trewins Memorystore website
- Jeff Lewis from the Smallford Station and Alban Way Heritage Project
- Helen Hofton from the Pirton Local History Group and website
- Bob Redman who will be talking about the “All Change” project celebrating 150 years of the Elstree and Borehamwood railway station
- Anne Murphy from the University of Hertfordshire will also be delivering a talk on ‘Memories Matter: collecting and preserving oral histories’.
After lunch there will be an opportunity to hear about the creative resources available at Hemel Hempstead Library in the newly refurbished CreatorSpace which includes access to a 3D printer, digital cutters, design software and other creative resources for hire to help with projects. There will also be an introduction to Data Protection and Freedom of Information and how this can impact historical research and storage of information by our Archivist Gary Moyle.