Come and celebrate Berkhamsted’s architecture and culture
at this year’s Heritage Open Days
Thursdays to Sundays 6 to 9-Sep-2018 and 13 to 16-Sep-2018—details below…
Events organised by the Berkhamsted Local History & Museum Society
All events are FREE and OPEN TO ALL. Bookings are requested for all events.
Contact Jenny Sherwood on 01442 865158 or email here
Further details from July on Heritage Open Days website
Thu 6-Sep at 14:00, Thu 13-Sep at 14:00
Numbers limited, booking essential
Assemble outside main entrance to Ashridge House
“Repton developed an elaborate series of proposals for gardens around [Ashridge] House from 1813 for the Earl of Bridgewater. These foreshadow the coming return of the formality and historicising sentiment of the Victorian garden.” (Countrylife, Jan 2018)
A WALK BACK IN TIME
Guided tours of Berkhamsted’s historic town centre on
Thu 6-Sep at 10:30, Fri 7-Sep at 15:00, Thu 13-Sep at 10:30
Meet at main gate to the castle
A WALK INTO THE PAST
Berkhamsted Place – Successor to the Castle
Tours Fri 7-Sep 10:00 and Saturday 8–Sep 14:00
Meet at top of Castle Hill, close to entrance of Berkhamsted Place
Berkhamsted Place was built by Sir Edward Carey in the reign of Queen Elizabeth I, using material from the Castle. From the 18th century onward it was frequently referred to as the Castle. Although little remains of the mansion itself the area is rich in history. The Great Barn is probably older than the house.
EXPLORING GARRISON TOWN BERKHAMSTED;
A THEN & NOW GUIDED WALK OF SITES IMPORTANT FOR
INNS OF COURT OTC DURING WWI
Tours start at the rear entrance to the railway station
Sun 9-Sep at 11:00, Sun 16-Sep 12:00
The Inns of Court Officers’ Training Corps was stationed in Berkhamsted from 1914-1919 and thanks to the valuable legacy of photographs by James Thomas Newman we are able to recapture something of the life in the town at that time for soldiers and locals alike.
LOST WHARVES OF BERKHAMSTED
Sat 8-Sep at 10:00
Meet on Bank Mill bridge.
Booking required; in conjunction with the Berkhamsted Citizens Association
ST. PETER’S CHURCH & THE COURT HOUSE, BERKHAMSTED
Guided tour Sun 9-Sep at 15:00
from the west door of the church, close to War Memorial
St. Peter’s Church was consecrated in 1222. Geoffrey Fitzpiers, Earl of Essex, who lived at the Castle, is thought to have been responsible for the laying out of Castle Street, the foundation of the church and the building of the Market House. The church is the second largest in the county, a reflection of the prosperity brought to the town by the wool trade. It contains many very fine tombs and monuments. The Court House is Tudor, and was where the Court of Common Pleas was held and
weights and measures checked.
MEMORIALS TO THE FALLEN OF WWI
Sun 16-Sep at 15:00
Meet by the War Memorial at west door of the church
Who has walked past Berkhamsted war memorials, looked at the names and wondered about the men listed there? Who were they? Where did they work? Where did they live? How did they die? Who did they leave behind? One hundred years on from the Armistice of World War One, you can read about their lives in Berkhamsted in WWI and Men of Berkhamsted: Lest We Forget
RECTORY LANE CEMETERY, BERKHAMSTED
Open on Sun 9-Sep 11:00-18:00
A myriad of events and activities RIP.
Come and see the transformation that has taken place.
Come and meet some of Berkhamsted’s forefathers and
find your ancestors in this haven of tranquility.
REMEMBERING THE FALLEN OF WWI
IN RECTORY LANE CEMETERY
Sun 16-Sep at 14:00-17:00
Poetry, drama, music to commemorate the Fallen and the
people of Berkhamsted in WWI
ASHLYNS SCHOOL, FORMER FOUNDLING HOSPITAL
Open Sun 9-Sep at 13:00-17:30
Tours led by former foundlings at 13:30 and 15:30
The Hospital moved to the new purpose-built building in 1935, on the outskirts of Berkhamsted. Former foundlings will conduct tours and tell you of life in the Hospital which became more isolated during WWII when visits from foster parents, and summer camps were discontinued. Wear stout shoes and bring a torch for visits to the crypt, and see the stained glass windows brought from the London Foundling Hospital.
OLD HALL & CHAPEL, BERKHAMSTED SCHOOL
Tours on Sun 9-Sep at 10:30 and 14:30
Meet at bottom of steps leading up to Old Hall.
Old Hall, the original School House, built in 1544, was the largest school building at the time exceeding Winchester and Eton in size. The beautiful little chapel is Victorian and was largely financed by Dr Fry who became Dean of Lincoln, and his wife. It was built by the local architect Charles Henry Rew, but based on the little chapel of Santa Maria dei Miracoli in Venice.
BERKHAMSTED TOWN HALL
Open Sun 9-Sep at 10:15-13:30 Guided tour at 11:00
This Victorian Town Hall, by the architect Edward Buckton Lamb, was opened in 1860 to replace the Market House destroyed by fire in 1854. It included a large meeting hall and a room for the Mechanics’ Institute in addition to the Market Hall. There is a permanent exhibition of old photographs relating to the Market House and Town Hall.
Open daily from 10:00 to 18:00
Guided tours on Sun 9-Sep at 10:30, 14:00, 16:00, Fri 14-Sep at 10:30, 14:00
This royal castle, the finest example of a Norman motte and bailey castle extant, still belongs to the Duchy of Cornwall. It has a long history with many royal associations, although not inhabited since 1495. Exhibition in Visitors’ Room, depicting history of castle.
POST A LETTER – A TOUR OF BERKHAMSTED’S POSTAL HERITAGE
Tour on Sat 15-Sep at 10:30
Meet at front of railway station
We have no Victorian pillar boxes in Berkhamsted. The oldest surviving box in the town is in Gravel Path, a well-preserved pillar box outside the old sub Post Office which now a residential property aptly named “The Old Post Office”.
DACORUM HERITAGE TRUST MUSEUM STORE
Tour on Sat 15-Sep at 10:00
Numbers are very limited so booking is absolutely essential. It is not suitable for children under 8 and because of steep stairs it is unsuitable for the elderly or those with mobility problems. Contact curatorial staff on 01442 879525 or email here
This converted fire station is an accredited museum although not a museum in the normal sense. It houses collections from different societies and other bodies from all over Dacorum, including those belonging to BLH&MS and BDAS.
DON’T MISS THIS VALUABLE OPPORTUNITY TO SEE SOMETHINGOF BERKHAMSTED’S HIDDEN HISTORY